Want to change the theme in the Windows Terminal app? This guide will tell you how.
The new Windows Terminal is a great replacement for the Command Prompt on Windows 11 PCs.
Unlike the old cmd.exe, Windows Terminal is customizable, allowing you to open PowerShell windows, connect to remote Azure terminals, and more. You can even customize Windows Terminal to look the way you want (or need).
If you’re having trouble seeing text results from commands you run, you might want to know how to customize the Windows Terminal app to suit your needs. This guide will show you how.
How to change font in windows terminal
By default, the Windows Terminal app uses Consoles as the default font for new Windows PowerShell tabs. However, you can customize Windows Terminal to use any supported system font on Windows 11.
To change the font in Windows Terminal:
- Open the Start menu and press the Terminal application.
- In the terminal window, press the drop down arrow in the tab bar.
- Hurry Settings.
- In Settings, select your default profile from the menu on the left. For most users this will be WindowsPowerShell.
- Select Appearance on the right.
- In Appearancechoose a new font from Font Type scrolling menu.
- If you want to use a custom font, select the Show all fonts checkbox and then choose a font.
- Hurry to safeguard to confirm.
Your chosen font should appear automatically. If not, close the terminal window and restart it. Don’t see the font you want? You can always install new fonts on Windows 11 first.
How to change windows terminal font size
You can also change the font size in Windows Terminal. If you have trouble seeing the text, for example, this will help make it easier to read. To change the font size in Windows Terminal:
- Open the The start menu and click on the Terminal app (or find it manually first).
- In the Terminal window, press the arrow icon in the tab bar.
- Then click on Settings.
- Select WindowsPowerShell (or your default profile) on the left.
- On the right, select the Appearance option.
- Change the Font size value according to your needs. By default, this is set to 12.
- When you are done, press to safeguard to apply the changes.
Changes to your font size in Windows Terminal should show up immediately. If not, restart the app to see the changes.
How to change font weight in windows terminal
The last text setting you can change is the font weight. For example, you can make text bolder, lighter, or darker. To change the Windows Terminal font weight:
- Open the The start menu and select Terminal.
- press the arrow icon in the Terminal the window.
- Click on Settings.
- Hurry WindowsPowerShell > Appearance.
- In the font weight drop-down menu, select your preferred option (eg. Bold)
- Hurry to safeguard to confirm.
Changes to your font weight will show up immediately.
Customize a Windows 11 PC
The steps above are just several ways to customize Windows Terminal (and other system apps) on Windows 11.
For example, you can decide to change the theme in Windows Terminal, allowing you to apply a new background image or color scheme. You can also use Windows Terminal to install Windows Subsystem for Linux to run Linux-only applications.
Want to run terminal commands as an administrator? You’ll need to run Windows Terminal (and PowerShell) as administrator to be able to do this.